Monday, August 6, 2012

the literal icing on the cake.

Because I’m not completely back in my niche of writing again, I’m still struggling with titles.  Y’all are just gonna have to bear with me until I can get myself together again. 

I am continually thankful for the friends that God has placed in my life.  This was one of those weekends to celebrate my friends!  Friday night was low-key as some friends and I headed to Chatty to buy decorations for a second grade class.

Saturday, I woke up with the cleaning bug.  Four hours, two garbage bags, and 7 target organizers later, my bathroom looked like a brand new place!  As a sidenote, thanks to Pinterest and a few too many episodes of hoarders, I reorganize my cabinets with some frequency.  I never cease to be amazed at how often things expire.  Also, I need people to stop pinning highly coordinated, perfectly organized cabinets/pantries/spaces on Pinterest because I can’t make myself stop trying to recreate them in my home!  Sadly, I have no photographic proof, but I will say that I’ve enjoyed an immaculately clean bathroom countertop for approximately 36+ hours.  Hoorah.

Saturday afternoon, I headed up to Cleveland for a birthday party, specifically the ninth birthday part of my sweet Riley Jo.  I cannot believe she is nine!  Nine.  365 days from TEN.  I love this sweet girl and her funny heart.  The way she squishes up a smile on her face when she’s being mischievous.  The way she draws in her shoulders and purses her lips when she gets shy.  She is such a talented softball player too.  To her mom’s credit, I’ve been to a lot of birthday parties, but this was the best turnout I’d ever seen.  Seriously like thirty-five kids showed up.  I hope she racked up with some fun stuff.  As her Mom’s best friend, my gift was cash.  Praise God and pass the Alexander Hamiltons.

Saturday night (I know, shouldn’t I be done with this day already??), I drove back to town to have dinner with some friends.   All of my close Dalton friends are teachers.  Ashley was kind enough to let me get my “I wish I’d been a second grade teacher” fix this weekend.  There is something deep within me that gets very excited when I see laminated sheets that need to be cut out.  Accountants aren’t really known for their arts and crafts skills as you can imagine.  After church yesterday, we worked hard and finished up Ashley’s classroom.  I have always loved handwriting and was that nerdy little girl who practiced her a lot!  Yesterday, I was able to write the names of her twenty-one students several times, on paw prints and owls and helper sheets, and the like.  I couldn’t help but say a small prayer over each little student, praying that God uses my friend to touch their little lives.  This was a good weekend for my “love tank” to get filled up.  Lots of friends, a lot of quality time, and cake.

Let’s be honest, icing has a way of making things a little bit better. Or at least a little bit sweeter to swallow.

Jenn

1 comment:

Sueann said...

That is so true...sounds like a wonderful and fulfilling weekend!!
Hugs
SUeAnn