Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"and when I look at the stars"

I had good intentions to post this Sunday and then again yesterday and somehow that never materialized! sorry!!

Let me preface my post by saying this -- if I could undo my college experience, I would have moved my happy little butt across the U.S. and studied astronomy/astrophysics at the University of California Berkeley. I have ALWAYS been fascinated with stars and astronomy and the heavens, and was only too cowardly and dorky to do anything about it. But I love the study of the heavens and have since I was 7 in the second grade when we intensively studied Halley's Comet. With that said, any mention of Jesus and science makes me giddy inside.

Sunday, I had the privilege to watch Louie Giglio's talk from Chris Tomlin's most recent concert tour. (If you had heard it or heard about it, I apologize for the redundancy, but still think it's worth mentioning briefly.) The bulk of Louie's talk involves the enormousness of the heavens, stars specificially, in contrast to the minisculity of the earth and ultimately us in comparison to God. I should have done my homework and provided the statistical information (so bear with me).

The earth = holds roughly 6.2 BILLION people
The Sun = 93 BILLION Earths
Kanis Majoris (the largest star discovered to date) = holds 2.73 QUADRILLION earths.

"By the word of the LORD were the heavens made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth." Psalm 33:6

YO. God Almighty BREATHED the stars into existence. Think in contrast of you spitting a spitball out of your mouth. Put that in context of God BREATHING the heavens into existence.

Feel Small Yet??

And yet...

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your words are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were writtein your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16

There is nothing that we go through that God does not see. Our struggles are not immaterial to God, in spite of our seeming insignificant size. He created us. He loves us. He sent His son to die for us. More importantly, HE is on the throne working things out for us for His glory!

I post all this to say... I don't know the details of what you're going through, but I have faith to know that God is moving and is in control, especially when You can't see it.

1 comment:

Bitsy said...

... it is the most unbelievable, gracious, amazing and TOTALLY UNDESERVED gift I've ever received. Thanks for reminded me how awesome it truly is. love ya. Bits