Friday, February 22, 2008

Of love and such...

I had a very interesting discussion with a sweet, dear friend of mine last night about relationships. While the details of our discussion are not important (well, at least not on the internet), the revelation that followed was. Yesterday, I was reading my through my blogroll, and read the comments on a post, and wanted SO BADLY to comment back, but felt that 1) I have never met this person in real life, and 2) I’m not close to this person. (I realize that 2 is a “duh”, but I thought it was worth the stating.) And then I had a conversation with my roommate about a very similar topic.

So… in some good ole fashion, I thought I’d compile a list of truths that I believe to be true.

  • Good guys (you know who you are), continually get overlooked for bad guys. That even goes for good guys in church and bad guys in church. But for the record, there are women who SEE you, and I mean really SEE you. Part of the problem is, you don’t SEE us. May God open your blinded eyes. A-Men.
  • Everybody needs closure. You know those relationships/friendships that you have that span great amounts of time and lots of memories and unrequited love? All that ridiculous flirting? I don’t understand the reasoning, but believe that you have to literally ‘get it out of your system’ and get some kind of closure. If not, you will inherently waste a lot of time daydreaming and wondering about a relationship that really never was. Make the effort. Own your feelings. Tell them. Even if it doesn’t work out, at least you know.
  • Isn’t it ironic how we spend a great deal of time looking for what we want when, more times than not, what we need is right in front of us? I see this from a vantage point in my life where I hope that’s true, but I have clarity to see it for other’s. Is that one of Murphy’s Laws? Somehow wrapped in up that stupid hindsight being 20/20 cliché?

I’m reminded daily that, misery truly does love company, and if we choose to stay in the social and emotional rut we are in, without doing something about it, we have no one to blame but ourselves. The rocks are crying out... if you get my drift.

Or maybe I’m just preaching to me.

No comments: