Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9/11

I looked at my archives from last year to see if I posted anything. I did not. I was so busy with the reunion that I did not.

This year, with the anniversary on a Tuesday, obviously the same day of the week as the original attack, and haven't recently been in the city, I wanted to take a moment to say that I will never forget. I have to choose to forgive. That may sound ludicrous in lieu of that fact that 1) no one I know personally was affected, and 2) I do not live even remotely near New York City, but being an American, I definitely have deep feelings about this day.

FYI -- I was still in college, my last semester. I had flown exactly one month before to Jamaica to fulfill my cross-cultural requirement to graduate. My mom woke me up at 8:55 or so, and I turned on the TV and watched, but really didn't get it. I went on for a little while, and it wasn't until I got in my car and turned on the radio that I actually realized WHAT had happened. The first thing I did was get on campus. Chapel was now inundated with TV screens, and we were all in shock.

Either later that day, or first thing the next morning, I purchased a newspaper. It's the only momento I kept of the horror.

My tap had already planned and continued on with having the new tap come over for communion. It was very bittersweet.

Late that night, several Lee students (probably 150 or so) went up to Chilhowee to have Praise and Worship and a time of Prayer.

Where were you?

1 comment:

Miranda said...

I was in bed. I was home from school that semester, waiting tables at Cracker Barrel to save money. My nephew Noah was born about 8:15. My mom woke me up to tell me that Kelee and Noah were doing fine and I needed to get up so we could go to the hospital. Then she said, "Umm, I think we have been bombed?" What?? I remember seeing the second plane thinking it was a replay and then realized what was going on. I have family that lives on Long Island. My uncle works in the city. We didnt hear from them for days, the longest days EVER. I dont mind all the extra security measures or phone lines being tapped because I dont have anything to hide. I do fine it funny, that when I was in London 2 years after 9/11 the bomb squad made me take off my flip flops and searched them for bombs!