Monday, October 1, 2007

Signs of old age...

When Roller Skating and a game of Whiffle Ball prevents you from moving as adeftly as you did the day before.

Seriously, I'm so sore I don't know what to do. My body is so In Shock! I went to bed at 10:00 last night, the earliest that I've gone to bed in SEVERAL weeks, and I didn't wake up until 7:40. It's gonna be a long day.

Thursday was a dear friend's birthday, and on Friday, she wanted to go roller skating. I seriously used to love to skate. My brother and I even went to an after-school program at a skating rink. I finally got to throw away my skates a few months ago! My mom was apparently wanting to keep them for posterity. Who knows! Anywhoo... we went skating on Friday. I haven't been skating in a few years and honestly believed that I would be fine. I didn't fall, but I did discover a cardinal rule of physics:

If your TOP is heavier than your BOTTOM, and you lean backwards, the propensity to fall on your butt in front of a large group of middle schoolers will go up 300%.

Again, I didn't fall, but only because I exercised another cardinal rule of physics:

When your TOP is heavier than your BOTTOM, LEAN FORWARD.

It was the only way to avert disaster... er... embarassment.

But, I loved skating! I do think that, when I am a parent, I will NEVER drop my kids off at a skating rink at leave. EVER. Oh! and it cost us $8.00 to get in, and another $1.00 to rent skates. That is NOT inflation. That is just plain Highway Robbery.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, I got my hair cut. If you know me at all, you know how much I was dreading this. She cut off three inches, which, in the grand scheme is not alot, but it was too much for me. God-willing, it will grow back quickly.

Saturday night, I went to dinner with one of my guy friends and some of his buddies from high school. We had a really nice time. In the parking lot, my friend and I were talking and he said something that threw my brain into overdrive. I'm sure he meant it as a very nice and innocent compliment, but it was a combo of what he said, how he said it, and body language, and it was almost too much for me not to add too. You know? Y'all, please pray that my brain does not get ahead of me, k?

Right after this happened, a very sweet, and funny, and unnamable friend of mine called to tell me that, in regards to my Birds and Bees post, that she heard Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing" and thought of me. I'm still laughing about that one!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, we had Pastor Apppreciation Day, then a bunch of us went to lunch. Lunch was fun, and although my actual lunch was terrible and only succumbed to ONE BITE, I did order some fried pickles and ate the entire order by myself. Without shame. Thank God for Deep Fried Goodness.

If only I'd had a Fry Daddy, batter, and some chilled oreos.... I could have had dessert!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Following lunch, some of us went to play whiffle ball. In spite of my misery today, it was seriously a blast. I don't think I've been that active, or realized how OUT OF SHAPE I was, in a really long time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I did want to pass along BooMama's son's scripture verse, because it's Good Stuff:

"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; He does great things beyond our understanding."
Job 37:5

God does... doesn't he? I'm glad that one of God's greatest gifts to us is His Grace. Because the sufficiency of that Grace is truly beyond our understanding.

Love,
Jenn

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Oh Jenn! You have made me laugh more today than I have laughed in weeks combined! I love you!