Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The most dangerous word.

I have finally come to grips that I too often say aloud the most dangerous word.

TOMORROW

I will do that tomorrow...
I will finish this tomorrow...
I will do my bible study homework tomorrow...
I will be more consistent tomorrow...
I will call that person tomorrow...
I will eat better tomorrow...
I will be better tomorrow...
I will confess my feelings tomorrow...
I will share my testimony tomorrow...
I will talk about Jesus tomorrow...

I have wasted a thousand todays for the disillusionment of tomorrow.

Ironically enough, tomorrow is the beginning of Lent. My roommate and I are going to go through the process together. For accountability and encouragement. We even joked about what we will eat today, because tomorrow, we will give them up.

But where do we get this "Hope" for tomorrow and lack-luster to not live out today? We know we are not promised tomorrow. I tried to think about my family. My grandparents do things today, because the unrest of leaving things until tomorrow is almost too much. My grandmother has shared many stories of staying up until 3 in the morning, sewing, ironing, caning, because things couldn't wait. They had to be done today. They were necessary for tomorrow. My mom is a procrastinator, honestly, but when she gets focused, there is no room for doing things tomorrow... they get done today. So... when did I become such a "tomorrow" girl?

Lord, remind me that I have no promise for tomorrow. Things can't always wait until tomorrow. Remind me that, in your strength, I have the energy, determination, and zeal to do today what I would typically put off until tomorrow. Remind me that my faith needs feet today, not tomorrow. You are ingrained in every moment of today. Remove the stubbornness, fear, and anxiety that drive me into tomorrow, for you are the God of Today. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: