Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's and all that Jazz...


Yes... today is the day.
Good 'ole Valentine's.
I'm really at a loss for what to say. It is what it is, and I didn't go overboard. I did wear red today, because it's appropriate, but nothing flashy. I sent my mother a V-Day gift, because she's my Mom and she's cool like that. (It was a scrub top with red hearts.) She called me this morning to tell me she was wearing it. :)
Personally, I like Valentine's. I love red. Hearts are iffy and I can't stand solid chocolate, but I love the sentiment of the day. I love that people WANT to be sweet to one another. If only for a brief moment, some experience the emotion and attention they crave the other days of the year. Some will get engaged. I'm sure there are two people, somewhere, who are also getting married. Vegas and Ringgold are my two safe bets on that. (Ha!) Someone is giving birth (too bad it's not my best friend, because she could totally go ANY MINUTE.) Someone is falling in love. My grandparents, no doubt, are thankful for the 58 years they've spent with one another.
It's all beautiful and mushy. Extra mush on the side.
On the flip side, some couple is breaking up. Somebody is getting divorced. Somebody has just lost the love of their life. Someone somewhere is still reeling over a bad relationship. Someone is brokenhearted over where their children are.
Sad and tragic.
And then here I am. Somewhere closer to the mush than not. I prayed for my husband this morning. A little extra. I'm encouraged. Being single on this day, can drive the most righteous woman crying to the altar. But alas... I have no plan B. I trust that what God has for me, is still greater, and more wonderful, and mushy-to-the-infinite-power, and my heart is leaping and squirming just waiting for that day.
"In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice. In the morning I lay my requests before you, and WAIT in expectation." Psalm 5:3

1 comment:

Holly said...

Our minister did a radio spot today about this very thing...how today isn't a good day for everyone. The church sponsors a Widow/Widowers luncheon on Valentines and all the Deacons and Elders spend time with them to make their day is a bit brighter. No one ever thinks about those who might be hurting on V Day huh!