Wednesday, March 29, 2006

03.29.2006

Funny things said/thought/read today:

Donald Miller: "Apparently Jesus had not heard of the wonderful tool of acronym. He mostly told stories, some of which were outlandish. Step One: Drink my blood. Step Two: Eat my flesh. Do you know what having to read something like that would to do a guy trying to process dairy products?"

(I was honestly crying I was laughing so hard when I read that.)

In the FTE class I attended tonight: "God gave us two of everything, except a tongue, and he put a picket fence in front of that."

(It was just so unexpected it made everyone laugh.)

WSFA: (From a twelve year old girl about myspace.com) "They totally called me a HO online."

Here comes a nugget that I thoroughly enjoyed and want to share: "The truth is there are a million steps (to having/building a relationship with God), and we don't even know what the steps are, and worse, at any given moment we may not be willing or even able to take them; and still worse, they are different for you and me and they are always changing. I have come to believe the sooner we find this truth beautiful, the sooner we will fall in love with the God who keeps shaking things up, keeps changing the paths, keeps rocking the boat to test our faith in Him, teaching us not to rely on easy answer, bullet points, magic mantras, formulas, or genies in lamps, but rather His guidance, His existence, His Mercy, and His Love."

I am ashamed to write that I read a totally off the wall book. It's one of the few times I am geniunely ashamed of what I read. I'm now reading Donald Miller's Searching for God knows what which will totally rock your world if you'll let it. He's not "formula" enough for me to get bored, or try experimenting with things that don't work, but honest and grounded enough to speak the truth in a loving manner. His whole chapter on "Reality is like fine wine; it doesn't appeal to children", made me think of how we as evangelical, pentacostal Christians often refer to Christians who as still babies and not on mature food. Spiritual reality will not appeal to someone who has never been around spiritually mature people. I'm not gonna harp on this, but I was intrigued by the mention.

I leave you with this -- in class tonight, the teacher said "What do you think God is capable of?" My mind immediately (and I mean IMMEDIATELY) starting with the tune "GOD IS BIGGER THAN THE BOOGIE MAN; HE'S BIGGER THAN GODZILLA OR THE MONSTERS ON TV. OOOOOOOOOOHHH GOD IS BIGGER THAN THE BOOGIE MAN, AND HE'S WATCHING OUT FOR YOU AND ME!!! I have no idea where it came from, but I almost laughed out loud in a room of 30 stranger while they were intently talking about healing.

Nitey - Nite!

No comments: