Friday, May 4, 2007

Of life, and death...

This week, I've been so excited with the birth of "Belle" and "HW". I am still so excited for my friends K. and H. and their expanded families!

But this morning, I was reminded that life is truly precious, and that we are not promised tomorrow. My friend D. called to tell me that her mother, Lois, who had been battling Mesothelioma (lung cancer resulting from exposure to asbestos) went to be with Jesus during the night. And thus, my heart aches for my friend.

Being a pastor's daughter, I cannot begin to count the funerals I have attended, or the countless hours spent preparing food and visiting the families of those who have lost loved ones. The daunting task begins for D.'s family to make arrangements. Those are arrangements that none of us ever want to make. On top of the loss, D.'s youngest sister was scheduled to graduate from college in the morning. So, if you could remember her and her family in your prayers during the coming days, I would really appreciate it.

I have company at my house, and when I got the phone call early this morning, I woke almost every one up. A. and M. and I said a prayer this morning, and while I was praying, I rejoiced in knowing that Lois is not in pain anymore. This week alone, she's been on oxygen, forced to have a fluid line because of dehydration, and had to be put on valium to relieve pain. For the last several weeks she's also been on pain patches just to be able to make it through the day.

But this morning, she stepped into Glory without a single pain in her body or cancer cell in her lung. And though my heart breaks at her absence here in earth, I know that heaven rejoiced with her grand entrance into heaven. And I rejoice too. I will never understand God's ways, but eternity with Jesus without pain or suffering is better than anything this earth can provide.

So, for the one life that left us, I count it the greatest privilege to know the two new little lives that joined us. And God is So good.

"Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere." Psalm 84:10a

No comments: