On the radio the other day, I heard someone talking about the 30 things you should be able to do before you turn 30. Seeing as how that's in 9 WEEKS (!!!), I thought I should see what I can and can't do!
30 must-have life skills every capable adult should perfect before turning 30.
1. wrap a present -- I love wrapping presents! My preference -- don't put tape on the actual present and folding symmetrical corners.
2. start a successful fire in a fireplace, at a campsite, and in a barbecue -- I haven't done this in a long time, but I actually can. Please don't make me practice.
3. finish a piece of furniture -- I recovered my dining room chairs a few years ago, plus, I'm helping my grandfather build toyboxes that I'm giving away as Christmas presents this year.
4. get a raise -- Thank You Jesus.
5. order wine at a restaurant without getting stiffed -- I'm not exactly sure what this means, but a) I don't like wine, and b) I've never ordered it. On THE WORST DATE EVER, I went to a wine tasting and discovered that Me + Wine = massive unforgivable headache.
6. parallel park in three breathtakingly beautiful movements -- HAHA Not in this lifetime.
7. dance a “slow dance” without looking like an idiot -- Umm... Only in the 8th grade. His name was Matthew and it was a pity dance, but still good. :)
8. use a full place setting properly, including chopsticks and Asian soup spoons -- I can do all but the chopsticks. Unless chopsticks are properly used as skewers in which case, I'm good.
9. clean your place in under 45 minutes, when friends, relatives, or prospective lovers are coming by unexpectedly, and soon -- My aunt and uncle were in G'Burg a few years ago and called me to tell me they were stopping by. I managed to clean up (and vacuum) in 30 minutes. Oh, but there were some dishes in the microwave. Fortunately, this wasn't a white glove inspection!
10. hold your liquor -- I've never been drunk... in my entire life. If I never accomplish this one, I'm okay with that.
11. cure a hangover -- I know the magic potion though! Thanks to the WORST DATE EVER.
12. do the Heimlich Maneuver -- Can do -- BLS training a few years back.
13. use a compass -- Done.
14. change a flat -- I can, but please don't ask me to. I get sweaty and gross. Eww.
15. jump start a car -- Strangely enough, I had to jump a car just a few months ago. Scary but achievable.
16. open a champagne bottle -- Champagne is nasty to me, but I can open the bottle.
17. send a drink to someone’s table -- He was so handsome! I'll save that story for later!!
18. cook one “signature meal” -- Chicken Parm. I make a MEAN chicken parm.
19. whistle with your fingers -- I can't do this. I don't think I'll ever be able too.
20. take good pictures -- Yes!
21. fold a fitted sheet -- I love love love folding warm sheets. My Mom taught me how to fold a fitted with perfect corners. She's brilliant!
22. remove common stains -- Yep! Baking soda is a miracle!
23. sew a button -- Can do.
24. carve turkey, lasagna, and birthday cake -- Can do... and can make all three!
25. hold a baby -- Can I just say that I love the way babies smell! And yes!
26. change a diaper -- Not my favorite thing to do (clearly), but definitely can do!
27. keep a plant alive for more than a year -- This one makes me laugh because after six years, I accidentally killed an aloe plant. For the record, it takes ALOT to kill an aloe plant!
28. make dogs and cats love you -- I'm not worried about them loving me, I'm not crazy about them! I do really love my roommate's dog! And Harley will love anyone with treats!
29. help someone (an older or ill person, a guy you’re trying to impress, your grandmother) out of a car -- More than once
30. write superior thank you notes -- With my mad love for stationary and finding "The Perfect Card", I think I do this pretty well!