Friday, October 31, 2008

"I'll stir it in my heavenly brew"

Happy Halloween Y'all! In honor of the day, I thought I'd share another story about how I've evolved from a really big dork to someone less-dorky.

Years ago, shortly after dinosaurs roamed the earth, but long before we had major advances in technology (see Cell Phones & Wifi), we used to have Halloween plays at school.

I know, it was a lifetime ago, but work with me here.

But, I also grew up at a time when there were alot of evangelists talking about back masking, how the Smurfs were really about the devil, and that if you listened to Rock 'n' Roll, then you were really selling your soul, one album at a time. To show what a massive dork I was (FYI, I had Smurfette glasses that were pink!), we used to learn songs for Halloween and perform them at PTO meetings. To further reiterate that I was somewhat of a zealot long before it was popular, my friend April and I decided that the lyrics were um, too devilish, and decided to change them.

The original song we learned is called "Witches Brew", and this is one of the verses.

Dead leaves, seaweed, rotten eggs, too.
Stir them in my witches' brew.
I got magic, Alakazamakazoo.
Spider web, moldy bread, mucky mud, too.
Stir them in my witches' brew.
I got magic, Alakazamakazoo.

'Cause my friend and I were such good girls (see WEIRDOS), we decided to change the title and lyrics for Jesus. We sat down in my bedroom and rewrote the entire song. We also, as I embarrassingly recollect, recorded it on a cassette tape. I do believe the cassette tape is in a bag at my mother's house. (Note to self: FIND THAT TAPE. And make copies.) The only line I currently remember is:

"Stir them in my Heavenly Brew.
I've got Saved. Hale-lu-Hale-lu-Jah."

(Please DO ask me to sing these to you the next time you see me. I promise you will crack up.)

And so every year at Halloween, I remember what a goober of a kid I was. And how I've actually come a long way despite a few pitfalls. But... I can still remember the tune to "Heavenly Brew".

Oh, and I'm dressing up as the "Love Doctor" tonight for a party. Along with my friend the Oompa-Loompa. We'll be quite the pair.

What are you dressing up as?


I decided to include a pic from the Halloween party I went to last year! This is my friend Kevin (who's getting married in a few months). I was 411 dressed up as a french maid (don't ask), and he was a gladiator. :)

No comments: