I've never had anything impact my lungs the way that pneumonia has.
Before you think that sentence is from ignorance, it's not. It's from inexperience.
And in my mind, now just days before the CF Walk, I can't help but gain some insight into Nathan's life. Mind you, no where near the magnitude, but I understand in a more powerful way than I ever thought I could.
- Not being able to catch your breath.
- Coughing until you lose your breath.
- Gasping for air.
- Constantly hearing yourself wheeze.
- The constant ache that coughing causes your rib cage.
- Trying to put on a happy face as though your okay, only to have those moments, when everyone is gone, that you remember, that I remember I'm not.
Because of the pneumonia, I won't be able to walk this weekend. Last year, Nathan feared even on Friday night that he would not be able to walk. And on Saturday morning, while my team is making their way around Cleveland, I will be sitting down somewhere feeling a pain that hurts the deepest depth of my heart. To think that Nathan ever felt this is heart wrenching.
And more than ever, in my heart and mind, I am convinced that no one should have to go through this disease. If you haven't given, please do. If you think about it, tell someone. Every single dollar counts.