Thursday, January 4, 2007

1.4.07

Near the end of October, I spent the weekend with a friend of mine, and had the most incredible experience with God. During the Sunday morning service, God spoke through an older lady directly to me. That evening, in another church, in another town, God used an evangelist to speak to me again. I have not forgotten those experiences. This past Sunday night, at a New Year's Eve service, God used a third person to speak to me. I don't know why I didn't share that the other day, but I thought it was worth sharing today. In my life, I have gone through seasons where I feel like I can't hear God. THIS, is not one of those seasons. I don't think that God has ever spoken so loudly to me Directly. And while I think it's incredible and all, I think that I obviously need to be spoken to, or God would not go to this length. I'm listening... that's all I'm saying.

I have several scriptures taped on to a bulletin board, including Jeremiah 15:16. It was included in my daily devo this morning, with a brief story about the words that people say and how they affect us. I immediately thought of something that a lady told me when I was 12. We were standing outside of my church, and I had made some comment about my weight (I was 12, I mean seriously), but she reached down and poked my hip bone and said, "Girl, you can still feel your bones. You are not overweight. When you lose them, Then you have problems." I can't tell you why I remembered that, but it has always stuck with me. In the strangest times, I will reach down and feel my hip socket, just to make sure that I've not gone past the point of no return. Then I thought about all the junk that has spewed out of my mouth, in anger, frustration, times of deep hurt, times of disregard for the person/people I was talking to or about, and times of great personal transition. There is no way I can remember all that I have said or have any idea of what impact my words had. I wish that they had all been gentle, but I know that most of them probably have not been. Many times in great vain, I recited the benediction for my alma mater. May today be the day that I really take it to heart.

"So let the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, My Strength, and My Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

No comments: