Saturday, January 10, 2009

I will bless the Lord at all times.

There is a high possibility that, after today, I won't be blogging about Nathan publicly. I still have a LOT of emotions to process, and I think that not putting them on the internet and letting the Lord deal with them is the best thing to do.

With that said, I need to give you a rundown of my day and share some things.

My morning was fairly uneventful. Other than eating and getting ready for the funeral, I did nothing. I left my house at 12:30 and got to the church around 12:40.

Walking in the church, it was packed. My friends were all over the church, sitting here and there, and several serving as pallbearers. The overall service was good, but it was the small things that I want to point out.

Pastor Kelvin got up and reminded all of us to bless the Lord at all times. Not just when things are good. But the thing that stood out to me the most was reminding all of us that Nathan was never "ours"... that he ALWAYS belonged to God and was merely on loan to us. If you don't know, Nathan means "gift from God". He was. God merely had other work for him. Powerful, POWERFUL stuff.

Pastor Robert got up and talked more in depth about Nathan. Whether or not we'd ever actually thought about it, Nathan represented all nine fruits of the spirit -- love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance. I had never put that together, but Nathan really did represent all of those. God gave him inexhaustible grace... and Nathan.

Do you know anyone in your life who embodies all of these characteristics? Think hard.

We followed the service by driving to the graveside -- a few hours away. Those of us who went were invited to a reception at a church just down the road. We, as one big family, were able to fellowship and enjoy one another. I can't help but wonder what Nathan would have thought about it all.

As much as I miss him (and trust me when I say I have tears as I write this), I know he is in a better place.

I am asking you to help us -- his family and friends -- honor his legacy but getting involved with Team Nathan for the Great Strides walk on March 28, 2009 at Lee University. You can go visit the link

http://www.cff.org/Great_Strides/TeamNathansmith2009

to sponsor us, or sign up to walk or run. I'm going to start training to run the 5K.

In his life and death, I have been reminded to Live. Live fully. Live passionately. Don't live with regrets or excuses, and don't hold back. Life on the edge, both hands in the air, enjoying the view. Just LIVE.

1 comment:

Tasha Adams said...

Hey Jenn! You proabaly don't know me but Nate and I were good friends. We graduated PA school together. I came across your blog by accident when searching for the CF site. Your words brought tears to my eyes because they expressed what I and so many of us are feeling. Thanks for being a great friend to Nate. Praying for you!