Friday, January 23, 2009

Question

Do you ever have days where you want to disconnect?

Lately, I've had the overwhelming feeling to throw my cell phones away. I'm just sick of answering them/dealing with them. And just make my facebook profile completely private (although there's no way to do that without deleting all my friends). Making my blog private only causes people to email me and text me about what's wrong, so you can see how that's completely counterproductive.

In my own weirdo way, it's as though I want to reclaim a little bit of what I've opened for the whole world to see.

I have a friend who is ALWAYS on the phone. She talks on the phone no matter what she is doing. She rarely takes a trip where she doesn't talk the entire way. I have friends who can access their facebook/myspace at work and are literally on All Day Long. I even read through twitter (when I get home) and see how much people communicate throughout the day (and for some of you twitterers, you twitter with over 100 people a day!).

I can't stay that connected. I know it drives the people in my life crazy, but I need silence sometimes. Silence to regroup. Silence to analyze and ponder and sort and process. And sometimes I need vapid television that I can pause or rewind that doesn't demand something of me other than some attention. Usually after retreats with friends, I find myself completely wiped out and in need of some serious silence.

And I can't help but think that in our technologically advanced world, we have created toys that allow us to stay "connected" but really don't connect us to anything but the toys themselves.

So again I ask, do you ever have those days where you want to disconnect?

3 comments:

Aims said...

Yes, I started blogging again. Not as much as I used to, but I still find some time periodically to blog. I hope everything is going well for you. I will be praying for you as well.

The Miles Family said...

And I shall answer your questions with a question...

do you ever feel like you are crazy? like the "i seriously need to be medicated" kind of crazy?

yes. i need to disconnect... NOW!

yes. i think i need to be medicated... NOW!

:)

Jennifer said...

amen! I am on my computer just a short time and it amazes me the way some are "connected". Realtionships with people are different now. Folks would rather text or comment on Myspace/facebook than have a conversation.

I miss talking......